Conroe Brain Injury Attorney
Traumatic Brain Injury Cases in Texas
A brain injury is a medical emergency. If you suspect you or someone else may have sustained an injury to the head or brain, seek immediate medical attention. If the injury occurred due to an accident, negligence, or wrongful act, you should also reach out to a personal injury attorney. You could be entitled to financial compensation for your losses, including your medical bills, lost wages, lost quality of life, and pain and suffering.
At Scott Law Firm, we understand the many unique challenges you face. From getting proper medical care to managing new disabilities to keeping up with bills and day-to-day expenses while healing, the aftermath of a brain injury can be overwhelming. Allow our Conroe brain injury lawyers to handle the legal details and fight for the fair recovery you deserve so you can simply focus on healing. We have successfully handled numerous complex brain injury cases and have earned a reputation for compassionate, client-focused representation and aggressive advocacy.
Types of Brain Injuries
Acquired brain injuries can occur any time after a person is born and can include both traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and other types of injuries. TBIs commonly result from traumatic accidents in which victims suffer a blow to the head or some other violent force that results in brain injury and damage.
Some of the different types of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Concussions: Although they are often not thought of as very serious, concussions are a type of traumatic brain injury, and they can have quite serious consequences, especially when a person sustains multiple concussions in their lifetime. A concussion occurs due to a blow to the head or the head making sudden, violent contact with an object or surface, including the ground.
- Contusions: “Contusion” is the medical term for a bruise; a brain contusion, therefore, is a bruise that occurs on the brain. Often, brain contusions occur alongside other TBIs, such as concussions. While most brain contusions heal on their own, some do not. When this happens, the victim may require surgery to remove the contusion.
- Skull Fractures: Skull fractures often result in brain damage, as the skull is not able to absorb the impact of a blow as well as other bones in the body. Skull fractures are a type of “open head” injury, as opposed to a “closed head” injury, and require immediate emergency medical treatment.
- Coup-Contrecoup: A coup-contrecoup brain injury occurs when a blow to the head causes the brain to slam against the opposite side of the skull. In reality, a coup-contrecoup injury is two injuries: one at the site of the initial impact and another where the brain hits the inside of the skull. Coup-contrecoup brain injuries often result in brain contusions, damage, and other problems.
- Diffuse Axonal Injuries: When a person’s head moves violently back and forth or side to side, it can cause the brain to also move violently within the skull and lead to “shearing” or tearing in the connections in the brain. This is known as a diffuse axonal injury (DAI), and it is incredibly serious. DAIs are some of the most severe brain injuries and may lead to permanent brain damage, coma, or even death.
If you or someone you love suffered any type of brain injury, whether it resulted in relatively minor effects or significant impairment, our Conroe brain injury attorneys can help you understand your rights and work to hold the liable party accountable.
Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injuries
The symptoms of a traumatic brain injury will vary depending on the nature and severity of the injury. Some brain injuries can have delayed effects that may not be apparent for days or months after the injury. For this reason, it is crucial you seek medical help as soon as possible after suffering a blow to the head of any kind.
Brain injury symptoms typically fall into four categories:
- Thinking / remembering: Difficulty thinking clearly, feeling slowed down, difficulty focusing, difficulty remembering new information
- Physical: Loss of consciousness, convulsions or seizures, headache that progressively gets worse, blurred vision, slurred speech, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, light and sound sensitivity, balance or coordination problems, lethargy
- Emotional / mood: Irritability, sadness or depression, anxiety, mood swings
- Sleep: Sleeping more or less than usual, difficulty falling asleep
Common Causes of Brain Injuries
All types of accidents and traumatic events can lead to serious brain injuries. Some of the most common causes include:
- Sports accidents
- Recreational accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Work-related accidents
- Car accidents (and other motor vehicle crashes involving motorcycles, trucks, buses, etc.)
All too often, these and other injury-causing accidents could have—and should have—been prevented. When others are negligent or act outside of the law, and you are injured as a result, you have the right to take legal action. Scott Law Firm can help you protect your rights and fight for justice.
How a Brain Injury Lawyer Can Help
Brain injury victims typically experience immense losses due to their injuries. The cost of treating a serious brain injury over the course of a lifetime can easily exceed hundreds of thousands—if not millions—of dollars. But insurance companies and other liable parties are hesitant to pay out these claims. Their primary goal is to protect their bottom lines, something they aim to do by devaluing and denying injury claims.
An attorney at our firm can help you fight back. We know how insurance companies operate and the tactics they will use to dispute your claim. Most importantly, we know the law, and we are ready to use it to your advantage. We often work with teams of experts, including accident reconstructionists, medical experts, economists, and others. This allows us to build a clear, comprehensive picture of your losses and equips us to advocate aggressively for the maximum compensation you deserve for your current and future damages.
“Wonderful experience”- Joanne A.
“Each of the team at Scott Law Firm was truly amazing.”- Justin O.
“I couldn't of asked for a better lawyer, this firm is awesome!”- Tiffany P.