Conroe Boating Accident Lawyer
Helping You Put Your Life Back Together
Named the deadliest lake in Texas, Lake Conroe continues to grow in accidents. According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, alcohol was a factor in many of those deaths. Fatal boating incidents due to negligence, alcohol use, and other factors are 100% preventable. At Scott Law Firm, we strive to help victims and their families pursue claims against the responsible parties.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, speak with a boating accident attorney in Conroe as soon as possible.
Texas Boating-Related Accident Statistics
- According to the U.S. Coast Guard's 2020 Recreational Boating Statistics report, Texas is one of the top five states in relation to alcohol-related boating accidents resulting in injury, death, or property damage.
- 281 boating accidents were recorded in the state of Texas in 2020, resulting in 59 deaths and 173 injuries.
- Alcohol plays a role in 50% of all boating accidents, according to BOAT US.
- A person arrested for BWI may be jailed for up to 180 days, fined $2,000, or both.
- A typical boating accident fatality involves an open motorboat, weekends between the hours of noon and 7 p.m., and the victim falling overboard.
Boating Accident Liability & Negligence
Boating negligence can occur any time operators or vessel owners aren’t complying with safety regulations outlined by the Texas Water Safety Act. That is to say, if a boat operator is intoxicated or fails to have the required safety gear on board, he or she is being negligent. If that person’s negligence contributes to an accident, he or she may be held liable for their actions or negligent inaction.
Texas Water Safety Act
The Texas Water Safety Act is a collection of laws that regulate boating in the state. Most importantly, these regulations include information on safety equipment requirements, boat registration, and operator regulations.
Listed below are a few water safety acts:
- Children under 13 are prohibited from operating Personal Watercraft (PWC). This includes Jet Skis and wet bikes unless accompanied on board by a person at least 18 years of age who can lawfully operate the PWC.
- All children under 13 years of age in all vessels under 26 feet in length must wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable personal flotation device (PFD) while underway.
- No person may operate or give permission for the operation of a vessel that is not provided with the required safety equipment.
Boat Accident Investigation
After a boating accident that results in property damage, injury, or death, it’s important to have a lawyer with extensive knowledge of Texas boating laws and the Water Safety Act on your side. Certainly, it is critical to determine if the boat operator or owner was failing to comply with any of those necessary and potentially-life saving regulations at the time of the incident. Your Conroe boating accident attorney can keep you up to date on any investigative developments as you recover from your injuries.
Operator Error in Boating Accidents
Error by the operator, in one form or another, is the primary factor in many boating accidents. Distracted boating can cause injuries and fatal accidents, and excessive speed or alcohol use by the operator can also put lives at risk.
Other common causes of boating accidents are operator inexperience, unqualified people driving the boat, and reckless or aggressive boating.
Who to Call After a Boating Accident on Lake Conroe
After any type of boating accident, it’s important to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer about your case. Your boating accident lawyer in Conroe can be your advocate and help fight to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a boating accident on Lake Conroe or another lake, contact us at (936) 243-4299 today to schedule your free initial consultation.
“I would definitely recommend Scott Law Firm to handle your case.”- Silvia M.
“Patrick Scott and his team were AMAZING.”- Jennifer C.
“Thank you for working on my case and giving me the closure I needed.”- S.V.